While the Republican's (i.e. Frist and DeLay) try to push policies and rhetoric that most Americans don't agree with, Senator Harry Reid (D-Nevada) is pushing for actual change. Here's a list of the Democratic initiatives they are working towards.
- Women’s Health Care. “The Prevention First Act of 2005” will reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions by increasing funding for family planning and ending health insurance discrimination against women.
- Veterans’ Benefits. “The Retired Pay Restoration Act of 2005” will assist disabled veterans who, under current law, must choose to either receive their retirement pay or disability compensation.
- Fiscal Responsibility. Democrats will move to restore fiscal discipline to government spending and extend the pay-as-you-go requirement.
- Relief at the Pump. Democrats plan to halt the diversion of oil from the markets to the strategic petroleum reserve. By releasing oil from the reserve through a swap program, the plan will bring down prices at the pump.
- Education. Democrats have a bill that will: strengthen head start and child care programs, improve elementary and secondary education, provide a roadmap for first generation and low-income college students, provide college tuition relief for students and their families, address the need for math, science and special education teachers, and make college affordable for all students .
- Jobs. Democrats will work in support of legislation that guarantees overtime pay for workers and sets a fair minimum wage.
- Energy Markets. Democrats work to prevent Enron-style market manipulation of electricity.
- Corporate Taxation. Democrats make sure companies pay their fair share of taxes to the U.S. government instead of keeping profits overseas.
- Standing with our troops. Democrats believe that putting America’s security first means standing up for our troops and their families.