10.04.2006

Traveling & Learning

One of the advantages of working in a private school is options for professional development. Many public schools simply don't have the money to send their teachers to major conferences or workshops. My Head of School really advocates teachers getting out there and learning new ideas and methods and thus always has a healthy budget for development. So far I'm scheduled to take a NOAA/Seattle Aquarium workshop on ocean science; a workshop for specific science topics and methodologies for grades k-5; a math workshop to improve problem solving skills; and the National Science Teachers Association's regional conference in Salt Lake City. I'm actually amazed he said yes to all four. Just goes to show you that it doesn't hurt to ask. So, the next three months should provide me with some exciting opportunities to learn new ideas and have discussions with my peers. It will also help recharge the old battery before going into the long winter haul.

No comments: